Descriptive Reflection: Formal Introductory Letter (Revised draft)

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

My name is Hong Xian and I am a student in your Critical Thinking and Communicating module. After going through a few seminars with you, I have a rough idea of what to expect and I look forward to learning more from your lessons. I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in mechanical engineering with a minor in business.


My interest in engineering started ever since I could pick up and play the guitar. As my skills improved, I became more interested in learning more about my instrument. This interest eventually turned into a hobby. I would occasionally modify and swap out the components in my own electric guitars. This act of modifying benefits greatly from technical knowledge that is found in engineering courses and so this is why made the choice.


My greatest communication strength is active listening. I hate jumping to conclusions and forming opinions before knowing the full story. In general, if someone is telling me something that I know is factually wrong, I don’t interrupt and chastise them for it. Instead, I let them finish and try to help them see things differently.


My greatest weakness is public speaking. I have haunting thoughts whenever I speak in front of a crowd. I get nervous easily and would lose my train of thought if I felt that I've lost the audience.


During and after this module, I hope to be more confident in public speaking and improve on my writing skills. Although my writing skills were not mentioned in my weaknesses, I felt that both public speaking and writing go hand in hand with each other.


I believe what sets me apart from others is my ability to be self-motivated. I do not require others to push me to do what is required.



Kind regards,


Hong Xian


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descriptive Reflection: Formal Introductory Letter

The importance of communication skills for engineers

Summary Reader Response Draft 4