Descriptive Reflection: Formal Introductory Letter

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

My name is Hong Xian and I am a student in your Critical Thinking and Communicating module. After going through a few seminars with you, I have a rough idea of what to expect and I look forward to learning more from your lessons. I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in Mechanical engineering with a minor in Business.


My interest in engineering started ever since I could pick up and play the guitar. As my skills improved, I became more interested in learning more about my instrument. This interest eventually turned into a hobby. From basic maintenance to modifying and swapping out components in my own electric guitars. This act of modifying benefits greatly from technical knowledge that is found in engineering courses and so this is why made the choice.


My greatest communication strength is active listening. I hate jumping to conclusions and forming opinions before knowing the full story. In general, if someone is telling me something that I know is factually wrong, I don’t interrupt and chastise them for it. Instead, I let them finish and try to help them see things differently.


My greatest weakness is public speaking. I have haunting thoughts whenever I speak in front of a crowd. I get nervous easily and would lose my train of thought if I felt that I've lost the audience.


During and after this module, I hope to be more confident in public speaking and improve on my writing skills. Although my writing skills were not mentioned in my weaknesses, I felt that both public speaking and writing go hand in hand with each other.


I believe what sets me apart from others is my ability to be self-motivated. I do not require others to push me to do what is required.


Kind regards,


Hong Xian


Comments

  1. The contents and the main points of Hong Xian's email is very clear and concise. He also gave relevant details to each point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hong Xian,

    Thank you for this informative, well-organized and mostly fluent letter. You do a fine job covering all the points from the assignment brief. It's interesting for us readers when you share your background in terms of playing guitar and then explain how a fascination with modifying the instrument has inspired you to do engineering.

    I'm also quite impressed when, with reference to your active listening, you explain that, in conversations, if a person is saying "something that I know is factually wrong, I don’t interrupt and chastise them for it. Instead, I let them finish and try to help them see things differently." That's a great attribute to have in the hypercompetitive, "me right" world that we inhabit.

    It's also clear from your post that there are skill areas that you want to improve, be it presenting or writing. As we work on various subject areas during the module, I hope you take all the opprtunities given to do exactly that. With that in mind, please look at these two minor areas of concern:
    1. overuse of caps
    -- with a diploma in Mechanical engineering with a minor in Business. > ?

    2. sentence structure
    -- From basic maintenance to modifying and swapping out components in my own electric guitars. > (fragment)

    I look forward to more of your sharing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi professor Blackstone, thanks for your insightful and constructive feedback!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of communication skills for engineers

Summary Reader Response Draft 4